A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to attend the Chadstone AW14 Runway showcase. A total of 90 looks were styled by leading stylist Sophie Hexter for the Fashion Capital to inspire our autumn dressing. The show was titled “Life with Style“. From luxe every day pieces to special event ensembles, this is a selection of my favourite looks. The trends on the night, as their names suggest, were: Blue Daze, Sports Luxe, Printed Matter, Gentlemans Club, Wine Down, Sugar Coated and Sheer Beauty.
Did you get all that? If you’re anything like me, you may more than 5 things a little difficult to memorize. For example, I don’t like cooking anything that has more than 5 ingredients, but hey, I digress. So make things short and sweet, clear and simple, I have created a style synopsis for you. You only need to remember these 5 Key Trends to step out in style this season. And you know the best thing? You probably already have the pieces in your wardrobe!
From Left to Right*: Alex Perry Dress (David Jones) / Sass & Bide Dress / Sass & Bide Lace Dress /Manning Cartell Jacket & Pants / French Connection Dress / Willow Dress
1. Let’s face it. We are in Melbourne. Black will never go out of date. Just make your all noir ensemble interesting. Either go all out with embellishments and interesting textures, or go for something bold, modern and minimal.
Dion Lee Dress (David Jones) / Saba Jumper & Skirt / Armani Exchange Sweater & Pants / Leona Edmiston Dress / Seduce Dress / Cameo Romper (David Jones)
2. Blue Crush: the second look from the left is my all-time favourite look from the runway show. So whether it be cobalt, sapphire, navy or midnight blue, bring it on!
Camilla & Marc Dress (David Jones ) / Seed Top & Pants / Manning Cartell Dress / Kookai Outfit / Lacoste Dress / Dress from Fat
3. Put a cap on it. A sleek ponytail is the perfect hair trend for it but not mandatory. Brownie points to you if it’s in leather. This is the Sports Luxe look after all.
French Connection Jacket & Dress / Kate Sylvester (Myer) Jacket & Dress / Arthur Galan Outfit / Ted Baker outfit / Sass & Bide Outfit / Veronika Maine Outfit
4. Capes can seem a little contrived but don’t let your blazer, jacket, parka, cardigan, coat or ‘coatigan’ (a cross between a coat and a cardigan) stop you from swinging it over your shoulders.
Hats from Witchery ,Trenery Hat and Kookai Hat
5. The not-so-mad hatter. I blame it on Hedi Slimane. He single-handedly elevated the oversized fedora to cult status via his Saint Laurent SS13 show. Now every shape and size seems to fit the bill. Top of the morning to you!
So next time you scrunch your face and think “I have nothing to wear!”, ignore that inner voice. You definitely have something to wear. Check in your wardrobe for something black, blue, an outer garment you can throw over your shoulder, a cap or a hat. If not, then you know where to find them at Chadstone Shopping Centre.
*I have tried to best to credit the outfits correctly, however if there are any discrepancies, please don’t shoot me. I was busy jotting them down whilst wiping drool off Winston’s face…
Chinese Translation by Teresa Ruan (Click below to read)
[spoiler title=”中文版”]几周前我有幸参加2014 年Chadstone 秋冬时装展。由卓越的时尚造型师Sophie Hexter为时尚之都打造的90个造型带给我们秋天衣着上的一些启发。这次的时装展取名为“时尚生活”。从奢华日装到特殊场合着装，这些装扮都是我的最爱。当晚的流行趋势就像他们的名字一样是：蓝色迷情，奢华运动风，印花魅力，男装俱乐部，糖果魅力和透肤感。
5.男士的帽子。这都要怪Hedi Slimane，法国著名品牌Saint Laurent新的设计师。是他在2013Saint Laurent春夏秀场上把超大型软呢帽抬到了被狂热追求的地位。现在看来无论什么形状或大小都合适。
所以当你下次皱着眉想“我没衣服穿！”时，请你忽略掉这了内心的声音。你一定有可以穿的衣服。看看你的衣柜是不是有黑色的衣服，蓝色的衣服，一件可以披的外衣，一顶棒球帽或者男士的帽子。如果没有你也知道Chadstone Shopping Centre里哪可以买到。