My cousin warned me that I’d fall in love with Seville. He was spot on. Amazing weather, culture, food, shopping, sights and sites, the city with ‘not enough eyes to see and heart to admire’ surpassed all my expectations. I woke up every day pinching myself, feeling so privileged to be there. I’d totally move here if I could, and here’s why:
- The weather is amazing. The sky is perpetually blue. The sun sets at about 9pm, after which the locals come out to eat and play. Although in May, the Mediterranean climate is about 30 degrees Celsius, it didn’t feel that hot. We walked everywhere, even in the hottest part of the afternoon, which brings me to the next point,
- Everything is within walking distance. Getting around Seville by foot was a great way to see all that this curious city has to offer and it made the pedometer app proud. We stayed in the heart of the old town so everything was a stone’s throw away. Ok, some places was more like a discus’ throw, but each walk seemed short because it was literally ‘a walk in the park’. Plus, we were rewarded by surprises at every twist and turn, because…
- Seville is SO STUNNING! From the windy cobble-stoned streets lined by immaculate heritage terraces to the spacious, picturesque gardens with their lush green foliage and mosaic-paved fountains, it felt like I was walking into a beautifully illustrated story book. The gardens are relaxing and romantic in the evening.
- The monuments and museums are breathtakingly magnificent. The sheer size and intricate detailing of all of them had me reaching for my iPhone6 camera every two seconds. My jaw dropped on multiple occasions at the Real Alcázar (Royal Palace), Metropol Parasol and Plaza de Espana. The Museo de Bellas Artes de Sevilla (Museum of Fine Arts) and the Centro Andaluz de Arte Contemporáneo (Contemporary Museum) offered contrasting spectrums of art. The latter is housed in an old Monastery that got converted into a grainery, it had a quirky cafe overlooking a lush garden to boot!
- There are plenty of playgrounds and dogs in Seville. We saw so many bubs which made me miss Winston so much. People are really diligent in walking their pooches – and picking up after them!
- The FOOD! I’m lost for words here. Delicious, divine, delectable, Sevillian cuisine is definitely the highlight. Plus, it’s ranges from very affordable tapas to less-affordable-but-so-worth-it fine dining. Being a coastal town, the fish and seafood is fresh and succulent. Even the Spanish word for delicious is ‘succulento’! Although we tried to eat “local” cuisine, we enthusiastically identified the many sushi joints and Japanese fusion restaurants we encountered due to an interesting historical fact we read on the plane. In the 17th century, Japanese Christians were being persecuted in their home country, so a group of them sailed to Rome to seek help from the Pope. The Pope at the time didn’t offer aid so six samurai decided to stay in the south of Spain rather than return and face cruel punishments. There’s still a small community in Spain who can trace their ancestry back to these samurai! Since both the Japanese and the Sevillians have an affinity with fish, it worked a treat!
- And last but not least: Shopping in Seville is sensational! Ok, so maybe it just seems like it because I haven’t bought shoes in over a year – but I loved shoe shopping in Seville. As the Sevillians walk a lot, their shoes are really chic and comfy. I treated myself to a pair of Spanish espadrilles. I’ll share with you my spoils in coming posts.
After spending 4 days in Seville I wish I could move there to live! Thanks to all the pooches and pretty sights, I could work as a vet and blogger? I’d just need to learn Spanish and get my hands on an EU passport…hmm. At least I’d love to bring my family here for a holiday, they’d love the warm climate, fresh cuisine and amazing attractions.
Next up, I’ll share with you some of my Sevillian spoils!
[spoiler title=”中文版”]在来塞维利亚之前， 我的表哥说我一定会爱上这个漂亮的城市。当初我没相信他。所谓“不够眼所看，不够心佩服”的城市深深地吸引了我。塞维利亚具有美妙的天气，丰富的文化，爽口的美食，精彩的购物和雄伟的景点。在这里，从世界各地来的旅客不少。我感到十分荣幸能在这么美妙的城市度假。如果可能的话，我真希望能般到那里，至少再来一次。原因此在：